Prof. Sergio Coccheri was born in Bologna, Italy, on July 13, 1932.
- His main academic position has been: Full Professor of Cardiovascular Diseases and Director of the Division of Angiology and Coagulation, at the University of Bologna, Italy.
- Professor Coccheri was Research Fellow in the Group of Tage Astrup in Denmark and in the USA (1959-64)
- He was awarded the prize of the “Accademia dei Lincei” (1963) for a series of papers on coagulation and fibrinolysis, published in “Nature” and other outstanding journals
- In 1970 he was founder of the Italian Society for Thrombosis and Hemostasis (SISET) of which he later became President, as well as President of the Italian Society of Vascular Pathology
- Prof Coccheri was also President of the European and Mediterranean League against thrombo-embolic diseases and member of the Educational Committee of the International Society on Thrombosis (ISTH)
- In these capacities he organized and directed International Educational Courses in Cyprus, Morocco, Tunisia, Lebanon, Romania and Ukraine.
- He also acted as Visiting Professor at Loyola University, Chicago, and at the Medical Academy in Moscow
- He authored about 600 publications (about 300 full text), most of them in his favorite field, Hemostasis and Thrombosis.